Most of us are familiar with the pounding headaches, drowsiness, stomach-turning nausea and “did-I-get-run-over-by-a-bus” sensation that comes with that most dreaded of morning-after ailments: the hangover.
To alleviate the suffering, chugging coffee, downing a greasy breakfast or simply choosing to forego the wretched day altogether by returning to bed sometimes does the trick. But what if there were a miracle elixir that could mean preventing the hangover in the first place?
Thanks to the introduction of Revivol, a new all-natural hangover prevention in the form of a tablet is at hand. Consumers simply take 2-3 capsules with their first drink, enjoy the night ahead and wake up ready to seize the next day. And at $14.95 per pack, ditching the hangover costs as little as $4 – $6 a night, which in many cases is less than a drink.
Revivol packs in the B-Group vitamins (B3, B5, B6, B9, B12) necessary for replenishing the Vitamin B that is depleted during drinking, and assists in refuelling the body. It also includes Gingko Biloba, Bacopa Monnieri and Choline Bitartrate, which are all antioxidants that allow the brain to function at a higher level and protect it from toxin damage.
In the lead up to the silly season and the never ending Christmas functions, we speak with Nutritionist Emma Sutherland on her top 5 hangover preventative tips to ensure you enjoy the day after the night before, an exciting prospect ahead of December!
1. Ensure you hydrate and then rehydrate. The best way to do this is to have plenty of filtered water in the 12 hours preceding your event. Aim for 33ml/kilo of body weight, so for a 60kg woman that is 1.98L and for a 70kg man it’s 2.3L. Post event, rehydrate with some homemade electrolytes such as icy poles made with 50% coconut water and 50% fresh juice and a tiny pinch of Himalayan sea salt, which you can make up beforehand.
2. Many of the nasty symptoms of a hangover are related to inflammation and the accumulation of toxins. Aim to eat a diet rich in antioxidants and natural anti-inflammatory foods. These include turmeric, ginger, blueberries, green leafy vegetables, beetroot, kiwi fruit, red capsicum, broccoli and walnuts.
3. Take Revivol, its unique formula supports liver detox, fights fatigue and provides nutritional support. St Mary’s thistle helps the liver break down alcohol, top up on B vitamins which are used in vast amounts when your liver processes alcohol. Revivol also contains choline, a water soluble vitamin that helps B vitamins work more effectively.
4. Research shows that alcohol helps you get to sleep but causes a restless sleep in the second half of your night. Even one glass of wine can cause disrupted sleep. To help you sleep through, pop the air conditioning on as a cooler room facilitates better sleep quality.
5. Make sure you don’t have that cheeky drunk cigarette; a 2013 study showed that smoking not only increases a hangover, but also makes it much worse!
Emma Sutherland on Revivol: “Alcohol is popular aspect of Australian culture and even with a sensible approach, drinking can often take a physical and mental toll on the body. Revivol Hangover Formula is a natural vitamin preventative that restores this balance as it contains ingredients that specifically target factors that lead to hangovers. B group vitamins give your body the fuel it needs to make energy and support brain function, Milk Thistle boosts your digestive system and gives your liver a detox, Bacopa improves your memory and boosts mental clarity and Willow Tree extract reduces inflammation and pain. It provides an all-natural approach to let you get on with things the next day – a great preventative particularly as we enter the Christmas and New Year party season. “
Revivol is available now.Sydney Unleashed is one of Australia’s premier entertainment publications exploring the latest in lifestyle trends. From Sydney’s finest restaurants, cafes and bars to the hottest in gadgets, products, and home entertainment, Sydney Unleashed is your one-stop lifestyle platform.